Community Building – Localization – Journalism
A-1202, Exotica Elegance, Ahinsa Khand, Indira Puram, Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh, INDIA.
M:+91-9860576239 E: firstname.lastname@example.org
I am a FOSS enthusiast – social entrepreneur who loves to work as a catalyst in the FOSS world. I love the word ‘community’, and I strongly feel that ‘collaboration’ is the key to progress – both on an individual and organizational level. I respect voluntarism. I am associated with multiple FOSS projects and my contribution is largely related to language computing. I am also a trained journalist. I specialize in building and working with the high performance community of GILT industry. I am a life member of a prestigious organization – the Linguistic Society of India. I believe that knowledge sharing should be a social responsibility for every human being and this is the only way that we can take the human civilization to its
Founder, FUEL Project
Introduced the concept of FUEL Project and successfully managing the project since 2008. FUEL is an open source effort that aims to solve the problem of inconsistency and lack of standardization in software translation across platforms. FUEL provides linguistic and technical resources, such as standardized terminology resources, computer translation style and convention guides, assessment methodologies, complex text-layout rendering references and translation assessment matrices. Since its initiation, FUEL has grown into a larger effort. Resources created by FUEL are now used by approximately 60 language communities and many organizations, including C-DAC , Red Hat and Wikimedia Foundation). FUEL is cited as a reference standard in Best Practices for Localization of e-Gov Applications in India.
Founder, Bhasha Ghar
Author, Apanā Kampyūṭara Apanī Bhāṣā Mēṁ
Red Hat Enterprise Linux in HINDI
I have been working and collaborating with several different communities of FOSS world. Hindi is now available on almost all major FOSS applications in supported status. Mentored Maithili Community and Maithili (mai) language is also available with all major projects. Currently working for Angika (anp) – a dying language – the community fully supports this effort. Created several locales in glibc eg. anp_IN, bho_IN, mai_IN, mag_IN, raj_IN.Initiated LibreOffice India activity in India and organized an event for deciding the shape of LibreOffice India. LibreOffice activity in India is currently almost zero. I hope to see Libre Office picking up in the future in India.
PIONEER – HINDI ON WEB
Literate world, Inc was a California based internet and Cinema Company. This company launched a multilingual literary portal (www.literateworld.com ; now dead) and I joined it as content coordinator to work for its Hindi language portal – the very first portal in India in Hindi language that was professionally run. The website was a huge success. While in Literate World, I coordinated several special issues on various subjects. Conducted a few literary surveys which were unique and did pioneering work of this kind. I conducted interviews of more than fifty literary luminaries.
1. Translation assessment
US 20140278341 A1
2. Filed on Spell Checker Enhancement
Digital India, Govt. of India Jun 2015 — Present
Open Source Community Manager
- Handling community activities for the Govt of India Open Source Collaboration Platform
- Engaging regularly with stakeholders – both within Govt departments/agencies and in the external community
- Interacting with volunteers, developers, open source contributors and motivating them to contribute to e-Gov projects
- Liaising with community members, identifying opportunities for citizen facing aimed at open governance
- Undertake platform evangelism activities – giving talks, writing articles/blogging user demonstrations, creating sample projects.
- Running campaigns and programs as needed for accelerating the adoption of the platform.
Red Hat Jun 2015 — Present
Open Source Community Manager, NeGD, Govt of India.
Red Hat Jul 2004 — Apr 2015
Team Lead, Localization Team and Senior Technical Translator/Language Maintainer, HindiTeam Lead for the localization team; ensuring the completion of task of some localization project needed for Red Hat
Red Hat Enterprise Linux version – version 4, 5, 6 and 7 in Hindi – have been successfully released. This has been a mammoth task in the field of localization – the entire Operating System including all the foss applications that RHEL ships.
Literate World, Inc May 2001 — Dec 203
Content CoordinatorLiterate world, Inc was a California based internet and Cinema Company. This company launched a multilingual literary portal (www.literateworld.com ; now dead) and I joined it as content coordinator to work for its Hindi language portal – the very first portal in India in Hindi language that was professionally run.
The website was a huge success. While in Literate World, I coordinated several special issues on various subjects. Conducted a few literary surveys which were unique and did pioneering work of this kind.
I conducted interviews of more than fifty literary luminaries.
Jansatta Hindi Daily Mar 2000 — Apr 2001
Cultural CorrespondentStarted my career as a mainstream journalist, reported extensively for cultural and literary circles, its ministry, language problem, all major seminars, conferences etc.
Freelance 1996 — 1998
Content ContributorWorked for an educational current affairs magazine for three years as part time contributor. Also freelanced for Hindi dailies. (1996-98).
- Post Graduate Diploma in Translation Studies (Two Years) from University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Journalism (Hindi) from Indian Institute of Mass Communication, New Delhi.
- B.Sc. (Hons) in Statistics from University of Delhi, Delhi.
- Brave New World – a leadership training for selected few in Red Hat
- Different leadership and management related trainings
- अपना कंप्यूटर अपनी भाषा में (Apanā kampyūṭara apanī bhāṣā mēṁ)
Some Online Published Articles
- Articles on opensource.com : http://opensource.com/users/rranjan
- Writings for community.redhat.com : http://community.redhat.com/blog/author/rranjan/
- Localization as a movement in India @ Red Hat Magazine : http://www.redhat.com/magazine/015jan06/features/rhindia
- FUEL: An initiative in language standardization via collaboration @ Linux.Com : http://archive09.linux.com/feature/149038
- The ‘Open’ Tower of Babel @ Linux For You : http://www.rajeshranjan.in/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Open_tower-of-Babel.pdf
- My blog: http://kramashah.blogspot.in/
- Localization Quality Assurance: Screen-shot Comparison Method
- Context in Technical Translation Concept and Guidelines
- FUEL Translation Style and Convention Guide for Hindi
PIONEER – HINDI ON WEB
- Writing the biography of the eminent Hindi writer Shailesh Matiyani
- Writing Importance of Connotation Analysis in GILT Industry for FUEL Project
- Editing a monograph on Fedora in Hindi
- Editing a monograph on Mozilla Firefox in Hindi
- Organized FUEL GILT Conference 2014
- Organized FUEL GILT Conference 2013
- Organized Mozilla Hindi Community Meetup 2014
- Launch Event of Mozilla Fennec Hindi/Maithili 2014
- Organized Indic FirefoxOS L10n Spirit 2014
- Participated in Mozilla Summit at Santa Clara, CA, USA 2013
- Participated in the MozAsia at Malayasia, 2011 and at Singpore, 2012
- Participated and Presented at several conference, meet and workshop of GNUnify, FUDCon, Different
- Mozilla Meetups and FOSS, LUGs seminars and workshop.
- Participated in Mozilla Summit at Whistler, BC, Canada and lead the India for World Expo (2010)
- Participated in IndLinux Meet. (2004)
- Represented Hindi in a workshop conducted by C-DAC for the construction of How to Guide to Localization. (2005)
- Participated and presented during Red Hat launch in India. (2005)
- Given demonstration of Hindi version of Red Hat in Linux Asia 2005 in New Delhi at India Habitat Center.(2005)
- Part of the committee deciding the format of Script Grammar, Hindi
Red Hat Enterprise Linux , Fedora, WindowsCAT tools/ Software
SDL TRADOS, Tag Editor, Passolo, Idiom, Kbabel, Lokalize, Pootle, PoEdit, Virtaal, Zanata, Transifex
Understand : Bhojpuri, Magahi, Urdu, Angika
- Won Manthan Award for FUEL Project
- Part of the Hindi team that got FOSS.IN award for KDE 3.5
- First prize winner in a national level essay competition conducted by Press Council of India, New Delhi.
- Special Prize winner in a national level essay competition conducted by UNFPA and Unnati Features.